Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Moving Abroad Isn't All Fun

I spend a lot of time, actually most of the time, being super positive and upbeat on this blog. I'd like to think I'm that way in person, too. But let's be honest, it's not always rainbows and butterflies in my life, and I would never want you to think it was.


Moving to Amsterdam is an incredible opportunity. The general reaction to us telling people we're moving across the world was: "Oh my gosh that's so amazing, I'm so jealous!!"...  And I totally get it. When I used to read or hear about people living abroad in Europe I completely felt the same way. And believe me, I know it is going to be an absolutely amazing adventure. But there are things that really, really suck about it, too. 


I was totally expecting to have a tearful breakdown within the first couple days, and I guess I know myself really well, because a few nights ago I stayed up all night sobbing. I was jetlagged and homesick and feeling really out of it. I was longing to feel settled, to not be living in a hotel, to be able to sleep, to hang out with friends and family... Somehow in this ridiculously dense city I was feeling alone. Luckily, I have the most caring husband in the world who walked me off the ledge (at 3 AM) and reminded me that these first few days are the worst we'll have here. We don't have a home, we don't know our way around the city, we haven't slept in days, we haven't seen anyone we know or talked with any of our work friends... The list goes on. I realized this was all just part of the growing pains, which I knew, but sometimes it just feels good to have a really dramatic cry. You know what I mean? 


Anyway, on a positive note the last two days have been awesome. I'm pretty sure we found an apartment (it's gorgeous and has a canal view!!!!), got our residence permits and got a European bank account. Things are finally starting to fall into place and every day Amsterdam is feeling more and more like home. 



{Photo © Liz Denfeld}