Monday, March 19, 2012

{Seville: Metropol Parasol}

After exploring the Real Alcazar we headed over to the Metropol Parasol. The structure is a new build, designed by architect Jüergen Mayer H., and opened in March of last year. Its honeycombed roof is made of polyurethane-covered wood and held together by a new type of glue (and is supposedly the world's largest glued structure). It's 450 feet long and seven stories high. At the base of the structure you can see a collection of ruins that were found in a parking lot in 2004, where the structure now stands. While I wouldn't put this on a "must-see" list for Seville, I will say that it was a great way to get a beautiful view of the city, and it's an incredibly unique structure that I had fun taking photos of!
We ended our stay in Seville with one last glimpse of the gorgeous Cathedral. If you visit the city, grabbing a drink from a rooftop terrace with a view of the Cathedral is a must. Our favorite was the terrace at Hotel EME. Unfortunately, they didn't allow me to use my camera up there, so no photos, but it was amazing. Super swanky. The drinks were expensive, but the view and atmosphere were worth it! Below is the view from the terrace at hoteDoña Maria, which was also nice, but not as impressive as the terrace at EME.
And back on the ground in the main square:
{Photos © Liz Denfeld Photography}

Well, I'm finally done with Seville posts! Make sure not to miss my post from yesterday (yes, I posted on a Sunday!) on the Real Alcázar, one of our absolute favorite sights in Seville.

Now on to photos of our weekend in Edinburgh- finally!!! So excited to share this fairytale city with you. I know you're going to love it!