Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sunday Snaps

I didn't take many pictures this weekend, mostly because I was feeling kind of lazy about it. But Sunday I finally got my inspiration back and brought my camera along with me to brunch. Boy was I glad I did, too! 


We tend to frequent the same breakfast/brunch spots and we felt like trying something new, so we ended up at Irving Street Kitchen. We had been once before but ate outside. They were having a special barbecue for the Fourth of July and we weren't crazy about the food, so we steered clear of it after that. Big mistake. Clearly we just caught them on an off day - and eating inside is the way to go.


I'll let the pictures speak for themselves as far as decor, but in one word I was obsessed. I seriously wanted to move in and never leave! And they were playing 1920s tunes, Frank Sinatra, and even some Pink Martini. After a while I was starting to wonder if their playlist was solely dedicated to me, each song even better than the one before! 


And then of course there was the food. I totally indulged in what they call the "Smothered Southern": Sunny side up eggs, cheesy grits, fried chicken and chili creole wedged between two buttery biscuits and served in a skillet. Did that gross you out? The description was a bit much, but the waiter insisted it was one of their specialities, so I went for it, and it was worth it! It somehow wasn't actually as heavy as it sounds. Corey had their Bacon Cheesburger with gruyere, avocado and herb fries and he gobbled it up in no time. Moral of the story is... We'll be back to Irving Street Kitchen very, very soon.


And of course I couldn't wait home to get home and snuggle with my little Henry. He got sicky this weekend, but I won't gross you out with the details... He's on antibiotics now and feeling much better!

{Photos © Liz Denfeld}