Monday, December 13, 2010

On Leaving the Comfort Zone

I've been in my position at work for more than two years, and this week I am taking on some new responsibilities. This is all very exciting and a very good thing, but I've realized through this new endeavor that I had become extremely comfortable in my job in the last couple of years. When I think of all the new possibilities that could come in the future, I get very excited, but sometimes scared, too. I'm afraid to fail. I'm afraid of not knowing how to do everything. I'm afraid I won't be good at doing something else. I'm lucky that I have a husband who is so encouraging and knows me so well, so when I start getting these panicky feelings, he talks me off the ledge and reminds me that this feeling is normal. Taking on something new is scary, but that is the feeling that drives us to succeed. We just have to muster up the courage to go forth into the unknown. And know that it's okay to mess up and it's okay to not know. Because someday, we will be comfortable again, and we'll be ready to take on another unknown. 


Wish me luck :)