Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thoughts on Home


Being home without Corey has been interesting. Home, in general, has become an interesting concept since moving across the world. I am constantly saying things like "There's no place like home," which I truly believe. But more and more I am questioning what "home" even means? It's a familiar face. Familiar places. It's chock full of memories, down every street, every pot hole, every coffee shop and restaurant. But all these things without the one you love... They just don't feel complete. 


When I'm away from Portland I miss my mom and my sisters dearly. I miss our old neighborhoods and favorite restaurants. Sometimes I long for those familiar faces and places. But here I am in Portland missing my husband, and it's a different kind of longing. It's more like an ache. It actually hurts to be away from him. While this really stinks right now, in the last few days I've realized how thankful I am to have a love like this. That even after more than four years together I still cry when I'm away from him, my heart still hurts when we're not together. I really hope we love each other this deeply and miss each other this much forever and ever. Because as much as it hurts to be away from him, I think it would be much more tragic if I didn't miss him at all.