Thursday, October 18, 2012

{On Following Your Dreams}



I stumbled up on this instagram photo last week (posted by Esther Freedman) as I was packing up for Portland. It really made me think. Probably because this whole subject – my “dream job” – has been a topic weighing heavily on my mind the last few months. You see, I have a wonderful job at an amazing company right now. I have an incredible team and my work is constantly changing, so there’s always something new to learn. So the question is, why would I ever doubt such a great thing?

The more I invest in my blog and my photography, the more fulfilled I feel. Getting home from a long day after a long commute might stop me from putting time into this little blog. And while sometimes I simply don’t have the time or energy, a lot of times, more times than I thought humanly possible, I hunker down late at night and find the happiest moments of my day as I connect with all of you, edit my photos and share my world with my readers through this blog and other social media sites. I really, really love this stuff. A few years ago, if you’d have asked me what my “dream job” was – or what I might be doing if I wasn’t working a steady 9-5, I wouldn’t have had an answer for you. But these days I find myself daydreaming about these passions that are so fulfilling to me and wishing I had more time to devote to them. The normal fears overcome me – there’s no way I can make the same amount of money if I switch to this full-time, what if I fail, what if it takes the fun out of it. Something happened a couple weeks ago that made me realize that I could do this full-time. I could make a career out of my passion for blogging, photography and all my other interests (fashion, cooking, baking, decorating, entertaining – the list goes on and on!).  Then stumbling upon this quote engrained it even more. Nobody is going to come and make this big of a decision for me. Nobody can tell me the future – that I'm going to be okay – that I don’t need that extra money  It’s a leap of faith. A leap of faith I’ve seen a few friends and bloggers take and have been so inspired by.

So yeah, I guess I don’t really have much of a point. This isn’t a post to announce any major change in my current situation. It’s more to put all these crazy thoughts out into the universe. While I’m not quitting my job, I am making a stronger commitment to this space and to the things I love to do. With time, maybe I’ll be ready to make that big leap of faith, too.

Have you followed your dreams and created your dream job? Have you taken a big life risk and seen it paid off? Or has it backfired? Do you feel fulfilled and blissfully happy in what you do? I’d love to hear your stories!