Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{Nice, France}

We're back from our long weekend in the south of France. I took sooo many photos and I am planning on sharing them with you throughout the whole week! 


First up, Nice, which actually ended up being our favorite of the three cities we visited. So, the evening we arrived we ran into quite a few hiccups. Do you remember Nicole's travel tips from her guest post? One of them really came in handy - Be Flexible. She was so right. Things go wrong... Very, very wrong. I could go on and on and tell you our long, drawn out sob-story, but I'll spare you and give you the gist: airline left our luggage behind in Paris (we packed in one bag - everything was in there) and the rental car company "lost" our reservation. So we were left without bags and a car. The car wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't staying out in the French countryside - about 40 minutes from Nice. But these kind of adventures are what traveling is all about, and why I'm so thankful to get to experience them with Corey. Sure, they can be extremely stressful and sometimes tempers flare (I'm not perfect), but they teach you so much about communication and problem solving with your significant other. And the good news is, we came out of five days of taking buses and trains around the south of France stronger and closer than when we arrived in Nice. And we still love each other :) 


So, Nice... Oh, Nice. It really stole my heart. The water is clear, the architecture is what you dream up when you think of France, and they have beach clubs along their stoney shores (yes, you heard right, there's no sand in Nice, just rocks!) where you can pay a day fee and you get a lounger and an umbrella - oh, and a nice 'lil view of the Mediterranean. No big deal. It was my idea of heaven. Cocktails and delicious fresh crab right at my fingertips. Didn't even have to step away from my lounge chair or take my eyes off the turquoise waters in front of me. Take me back, please!


After a long day by the sea, we decided to wander aimlessly and see what the town of Nice had to offer. We stumbled upon hundreds of steps that lead you high above the city, where we watched the sun set. It was breathtakingly beautiful. 



We then headed into the "old town" for dinner. We sat outside and shared a bottle of the most delicious white wine and chatted about how much fun we were having - and how badly we needed this vacation. It's been a crazy few months, and it was so great to be able to truly relax, feel the sun and salty seawater on our skin - and most importantly really connect (and even though I missed Henry - it was nice to have it just be us two).



Hope you're not sick of Nice because we headed back there on our last day - so I've got more photos to show you in a couple days! Tomorrow - Antibes!

{Photos © Liz Denfeld}